Make It A Happy Thanksgiving
With the divisive Presidential election still a raw, open wound in the psyches of the majority of American families, it is important to consciously make this Thanksgiving Day happy by practicing civility at the dinner table.
PBS New Hour has published a Guide to Holiday Civility with wisdom from their contributors. Here are some highlights:
- Download PBS NewsHour’s holiday civility guide and use it as a place mat to set the ground-rules.
- Remember the name of the holiday – we’re supposed to be giving thanks!
- Continue to have love and compassion, even though you don’t agree on everything.
- Listening is a radical act.
- Have a common objective to leave the conversation with everyone feeling respected.
- What’s really important in life is the relationships we have with the people we love.
- Be honest about your emotions.
- Have another piece of pie.
“If we can’t have a civil conversation with those we love about these issues, then as a country the point of healing is only farther away than it seems.”